Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A life well lived

Every once in awhile you read something that kind of sets you back a bit. I was surfing at lunch and came across this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Endurance_sports_legend_Barbara_Warren_dies_after_Santa_Barbara_bike_accident__495.html


When it is my time to go, I hope that I have a life as full as Barbara Warren. Criminy, war survivor, film star, Ironman, winner of RAAM (2 person), and the list goes on and on and on and on. This was a lady who had no moss clinging to her.

Barbara was competing in the Santa Barbara Triathlon when she had a bike crash which left her paralyzed. When it became obvious that the condition was permanent, she asked to be taken off the ventilator and died with her family around her.

I didn't know her. You probably didn't know her. But Luke, there was a disturbance in the Force. Another great one has passed.

I hope when it's my time to go, that I can look back on such a life and know that I did everything that I ever wanted to do, and that I left such a legacy behind. And I hope that if I'm ever in a pickle like Barbara, that my family and friends will let me go and not leave me trapped in a shell.

No comments: