Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A great day to be standing in the cold...

I was up in B'more on Friday and Saturday and everywhere you looked there were signs of the upcoming Freezefest. Traffic notices: metro lots will be full, no cars past this point, seek alternative transportation. Plus, my hotel told me in no uncertain terms that I was absolutely, positively to vacate by 10 am on Saturday morning under threat of something exceptionally dire. More dire than going outside when it's 2 degrees? Apparently so.

Our good friends at WABA made the Washington Post with their very generous act to do bike parking for the masses. Way to go guys! I'm thinking the majority of people who bike in today will probably be working in DC and have an office to stash their bikes, but anything that gets bikes into good press is aok in my book.

How am I watching? On a big screen tv at work. I live in the real world. We work today (yesterday, too.)

I do hope DC has lots and lots of those little golf carts to ferry the unwise to a heated shelter. I was watching the news this morning and they were interviewing people taking the train to DC. Its going to be in the 20's. Its going to be a bit breezy. Dress pants and a thin leather jacket are not going to cut it. Neither is dress, hose and heels. Unless people have some Carthardt stuff hidden somewhere I'm expecting human carnage today. Brrr!

Whatever your politics are, this is a hugely great day. Think warm thoughts. There are a lot of people who are going to need them! Smudge pots anyone?

No comments: