Thursday, April 16, 2009

Paying for two seats...

I don't know about you all, but I hate to fly.

Its not just the lost baggage... I've gotten to the point that I can get away with almost never checking a bag.

Its not just the delays and cancellations that leave you stranded...

And it sure isn't that they don't feed you on planes. I never ate that crap anyway.

For me, its having to absolutely defend my territory, aka my seat. Airline seats are not huge, and as a woman, big guys think that my space is their space. So the first thing I do is put the arm rest down and put my arm on it. That defines that this is MY SPACE. That is YOUR SPACE. The fact that you cant fit in YOUR space is by definition YOUR problem.

Except it never works out that way...

Today another airline announced that the large Marge's of the world are going to have to cough up the $$ for an extra seat if they cant fit in their seat. From my perspective, its not just the obese people, though. Ever see a 6'6" guy try to fit into an economy seat? Butt wise they fit. Leg wise, no chance.

There has got to be a better way. Maybe they have first class seats, cattle car seats, and for a little extra money, wide-body or leg room seats. Heck if the airline can charge you $5 for a hot beer, they ought to be able to figure out how to charge extra for a little more space.

Just my opinion. But I think that the airlines are in the business of making people be as miserable as possible, so I may not exactly be objective here...

1 comment:

Darren said...

Several Airlines have just what you are asking for. Virgin has like 2 rows of extended legroom seats, also I think there are a couple of airlines that have the 2 seats instead of 3 in a space. The issue is that these seats cost extra, and are not part of any airline deals. Example normal airline ticket from LA to DC was like $300 and the extended seats were $330 or something, but the deal I got was a seat for $150 and you couldn't get the bigger seat unless you went to $330 not $180. I just look for the smallest people to seat next too, I am not too big myself so it usually works out. my blog post on your blog is now done :-)