Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lil Belgian Weather...

You'd think that I would be genetically suited to weather like today. Dad's family is from Norway, and heck, they all lived in Iowa. Mom's family was Scotts/German. You'd think a day like today, a balmy 36 degrees and light rain should be just up alley. And you'd be wrong. Oh, so wrong.

Rain is supposed to be heavy after about 12, so I headed out in the drizzle to get a few miles in these legs that have no miles in them. Yeah, I could have ridden the trainer, but I knew that I wouldn't ride long enough, or hard enough. So I put on a thermal jersey, thermal tights, a skull cap, my best gloves and a really nice Gore Tex jacket that I got when I used to do some testing for Gore. Most days that's too much, today... thank God for the bodacious amount of clothes that I have.

I saw bluebirds, piliated wood peckers, and robins galore. What didn't I see? Cyclists. Since I live on the great bike way... either they were wimps or I was just plain kwayzee. I think the people in the cars that were passing me were pretty sure it was the later. I could see little old ladies looking out the window with severe looks of disapproval on their pinched faces as they passed me. You know what they were saying... "See Milton, like I always told you. Those bike freaks are just nutz. Someone ought to do the world a favor and lock them up! Hurmph"

I'm back now, and I'm going to soak in the tub until I warm up again. I may get out by tomorrow in time for the Dismal Dash. Or maybe not. Its probably going to take about 3 or 4 fresh tubs of water just to get all the mud out of my hair from the back spray. A few more after that and I might thaw out.

No comments: