Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Few Days Off

Or what did you do with your winter vacation....

For me, getting to take a few days off IS a vacation, even if I don't go anywhere. Trust me, I could get really used to the slacker life style. It's just so me.

Sunday I hauled James to Toano for the officials clinic and after waiting for him for hours and hours as he plodded his way thru the test, we both left newly crowed "C" officials which means we are capable of running errands and little more. I'll never stop rubbing in the fact that not only was I done waaaay before James, like hours before, but also got a 94 on the test to his 84. Which still makes me qualified to run errands, same as James.

Unfortunately, said clinic did take up the better part of the most beautiful day on record, so we had to rush to squeeze in a quickie 45 minute ride when I dropped him off. Giving back to the sport, or a ride for me... that was a tough one, and in the end I did what was right. Gosh darnit!

Monday was all for me.... a glorious sufferfest to Hadensville which of course just wouldn't be complete without the dog chase scene. I convinced Cliff to play hookie with me, and as usual, he was way up the road, when a truck passed me, then I heard braking, and then growling. Yep, two mutts right on my heel with a big hill looming. The other truck that braked was watching the show with some interest, leaving me to try to sprint uphill. (for those who know me, this is one of those funny statements. Sprint, yes. Uphill, no. ) Finally the truck went around me, which somewhat dislodged the dogs and I was able to make it the rest of the way.

Phew. Cliff was at the Hadensville store getting a coke and was bewildered... "Dogs? I didn't see any dogs." Course not, he was waaay up there when I was getting attacked. The guys in the truck took that moment to come out of the store and one of them looked at me and said, " That dog get you? We thought you was a goner, seein as how we missed them dogs when they run out after you..." Nice. Hills and dogs, it just doesn't get any better.

Tuesday was fun as well. I got up early so that I could go vote... and couldn't find anyone at the voting precinct. Yep, Virginia votes NEXT week. I am perpetually early. Then the bike ride was wind aided on the way out, and wind challenged on the way back. It was however almost 70 degrees while I was out, so you won't find me complaining.

Wednesday, Cliff came over to help me fix the garage door, and we had fun taking it apart, but now can't get it together again as it is so rotten. At almost 80 degrees, in February, I'll take that part, too.

Three days off, tons of quality bike miles, and a whole lot of money later, I better go back to work. I could get used to staying home. I really could...

No comments: