Sunday, March 23, 2008

Stuff

This morning's ride was probably one of the most miserable ones that I've had in I don't know how long... 33 degrees with a head wind (strong) the whole stinkin 24 miles hilly miles to Hadensville. I thought Cliff's fingers were going to fall off. Needless to say, the ride back was a death march. I've pretty much lost my voice now, and somehow lost 4 lbs on the ride. (lets hope they stay lost...)

So now I'm cooking "Stuff" and watching Milan- San Remo. Stuff is my idea of the perfect recipe. Cliff and I debate all the time who came up with it. I'll concede that to him. I think I perfected it, but he disagrees.

What makes "stuff" so good? Probably the fact that you can alter it in a million ways. Don't like onions? Leave them out. Got to much zucchini or squash? Add them. Depending on what I have, is how I make stuff. I like mine thicker for burritos, Cliff makes a kind of soup. It's that variable. Its also a gold mine of fiber, anti-oxidants and all the stuff that keeps you healthy and full of rocket fuel. (yes, it also gives you that...)

Stuff:

2 quart bags of stewed tomatoes and hot peppers (or several cans of Rotelle diced tomatoes and jalapenos.) I grow tomatoes and put up a freezer full a season...

One large onion
several green, red or orange peppers (or cheat like Cliff does and get the Hanover bag of onions and peppers.... I have knife skills and chop quick so...)

Kunzler Black beans (canned, whatever version you like, I like the hot kind with lime juice.)
Kunzler refried vegetarian black beans. (Cliff puts in another can of whole beans, I like mine thicker...)

I bag frozen corn

Box of Mexican Rice if you like it... (I tried brown rice before, not the best result...)

Jar of hot salsa.

Now you can do variations, adding zucchini, Squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, etc...

Cook for about 45 minutes at a simmer. Longer is better as the flavors come together. Cook with the lid off if you want it thick for burritos, with the lid on for soup. If it gets too thick, add a little water.

I usually serve with sun dried tomato tortillas and cheddar cheese... Yum. It feeds an army of cyclists, all of whom will come back for more.

Enjoy.

No comments: